September 22, 2010

Autumnal Equinox



Today is officially the first day of fall, even though in DC we've been having cooler temperatures of late.  By cooler I mean in the high 70s and sometimes high 80s, but anything is better than the 90+ days we've been having.  (I know, I know, I'm from Mississippi where it's NBD to hit summer temperatures of 105 or higher, before you add in the heat index.  Still.)  Most of DC takes a break during the summer, but work and other activities start back up in September; I'm looking forward to the coming season since I know it will fly by as it always does!

This time of year is one of my absolute favorites; watching football with friends, pulling out fall clothes from storage, shopping for cozy sweaters and leather boots, bundling up on the couch with a warm blanket and a good book, pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks (they should pay me), Halloween and pumpkins, upcoming Thanksgiving plans with family, and early Christmas shopping.  Growing up in Mississippi and living on a lake, the Canadian geese would always begin their flights further south around this time, "hooooooooooonnnnnnking" so loud you could hear it inside with the TV turned on.  I grew up loving warm apple cider and now I like mine with a bit of spice... whisky warms it up a notch.

The one and only Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

I could drink these year-round.

cozy and warm

My dogs loved "chasing" the geese in our backyard.



apple cider...

... with a kick.

 


As for Thanksgiving, I will spending the week in the happiest place on earth, Seaside, Florida.  My family and I have been going to Seaside at least once per year since I was about 6 years old... two decades.  It's a special place for us and since we're a bit spread out now, Thanksgiving is one of the best times for us to travel together.  Now that my younger is sister is of legal drinking age, we'll probably be spending some quality time at the Red Bar.  I can't think of a better way to spend a week.





No comments:

Post a Comment