September 2, 2010

9.02.10

Today's date is synonymous with an Emmy-robbed television show of the same name.  I mean, really, who in the 90s didn't want to walk the halls of West Beverly High with Brenda and Brandon, Donna and Dylan, Kelly and Steve, and sometimes David Silver.  I don't think anyone really want to hang out with Andrea (not even Brandon).

My favorite of the four seasons is autumn, and although it's still hot and humid here in the mid-Atlantic, I know that falling leaves are just around the corner.  Even Starbucks has brought back the pumpkin spice latte, one of my all time favorites.  Growing up, August signalled the return to classes, and I remember the excitement of buying back-to-school clothes and supplies (who knew how excited kids would get over pencil cases and brightly-colored erasers).  John Updike's "September" evokes that same feeling for me.

SEPTEMBER
by John Updike

The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel–

Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Drying grass,
New books and blackboards
Chalk in class.

The bee, his hive
Well-honey, hums
While Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.

Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

No comments:

Post a Comment