January 13, 2012

Friggatriskaidekaphobia

Friggatriskaidekaphobia is a real word, meaning a fear of Friday the 13th.  Here's advance warning that if you suffer from this phobia, we've got two more Friday the 13ths in the year 2012; another one in April and a third in July.  




Today also marks the day before a long weekend, at least for many of us.  It's turned cold in DC, so my plans for the weekend have changed a bit.  Seems like a good weekend for movies and staying in (by the non-existent fire... one day...).  I do plan to watch the Saints game with some friends.  My Crimson Tide just won the BCS National Championship (that's our 14th national championship win, if you're keeping count), and I'd love for the Saints to at least go to the Super Bowl, if not win the damn thing.  





Speaking of the national championship, it was an honor for my alma mater to win; but I think it's also an outstanding accomplishment for the city of Tuscaloosa, home to the University of Alabama.  On April 27, 2011 an F-4 tornado ripped through the city and surrounding areas, demolishing several city blocks and killing more than 50 people in Tuscaloosa County alone.  The overall death toll from that day is 292, with countless others injured and left homeless.  Winning a football game in no way replaces those lives lost or the injuries sustained, but it does bring hope to a city that is, by all accounts, still recovering.

President Obama visiting Tuscaloosa after the tornados said, "I've never seen damage like this," and declared a state of emergency for the area.

In happier news, next weekend I'll be visiting some DC friends who recently moved to Baltimore.  I've only ever been to Baltimore when heading to BWI airport, so I'm looking forward to actually seeing the city.  I'll try to take pictures to document the trip, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather is nice since I've been elected to drive to our carpool there.


Have a happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment