January 18, 2011

Golden Globes Fashion

Awards shows.  Sigh.  I don't care much for the actual awards, I am much, much, more interested in seeing the gowns and dresses worn by the Hollywood elite.  Or in some cases, the Hollywood-Who-Hell-Is-That?  The Golden Globes aren't quite as hoity-toity as the Oscars, but have more star power than the Emmys, so it's an interesting venue for actresses to step outside the box a bit with their sartorial selections.  Below are three categories ranging from Loved It to Meh... to Oh No She Di'n't!  All photos from JustJared.com.


Tier 1: Loved It

Olivia Wilde - "House."  I wish her hair had more volume, but her dress takes care of the oomph.  She just looks like she's having a great time.

Diana Agron - "Glee."  I don't really watch this show, but I think she's beautiful.  This look grew on me, but it's now one of my favorites from the night.

Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones - no introduction needed.  I think they both look great for Michael's first red carpet since his throat cancer diagnosis and treatment.

Piper Perabo - "Covert Affairs."  She just looks stunningly classic in this simple black dress with the perfect hair and makeup.  She's come a long way.

Claire Danes - Temple Grandin.  While I think this dress is a little casual for the Golden Globes, I love that she stepped outside of the box a bit with the silhouette and color.

Mila Kunis - Black Swan.  My favorite of the night.  The color, the details--simply stunning.
  
Eva Longoria, making her triumphant return to the red carpet after her divorce from Tony Parker.  I love the simplicity of this dress, and and the fit is impeccable.

Eva Longoria

Lea Michele - "Glee."  I don't care for her personally, but she rocks these ruffles looking young and fresh.

Robert Downey, Jr.  Few can rock a suit on the red carpet and look better than the hordes of the actors in tuxedos.  

Amber Riley - "Glee."  The dress is a bit too disco-ball for me, but I liked that this "curvy" girl didn't shy away from sparkles just because of her size.  Also, the shape is flattering on her figure.

Hailee Steinfeld - True Grit.  She looks age appropriate in the best way; great fitting dress, great hair, and I love her clutch.

Kyra Sedgwick - "The Closer."  I love this dress.  The color looks great on her, and I love the accessories.  She knows what works for her and she wears it well.

Sofia Vergara - "Modern Family."  If anyone can pull off a fire-engine red, corseted gown, it's Sofia.  (I was shocked to learn that this dress is Vera Wang.)

Sofia Vergara

Tier 2: Meh...

Carrie Underwood.  She looks lovely but boring and predictable... with the exception of her those damned tendrils.

Carrie Underwood.  Tendrils = NO MA'AM!
  
Julie Bowen - "Modern Family."  The color washes her out, and I hate those appliqués.

Sandra Bullock, you can do better than this.  You can, I've seen it.

And those bangs... eesh.

Tina Fey - "30 Rock."  Tina always talks about how she doesn't use a stylist, and it shows.  She was moved up from Tier 3 only because she chose navy instead of black this time.

Megan Fox.  The bandage look is done, but I've seen worse.  Her hair is pretty.  She should have a doctor look at that perma-bruise on her forearm.

Anne Hathaway - Love and Other Drugs.  I'm sort of torn on this dress, hence the 2nd tier ranking.  Anne rocks it like many other women couldn't, but something is off... maybe a different color would have worked better. 

Look, no Spanx!

Scarlet Johansson, fresh from her divorce from Ryan Reynolds.  It's unfortunate that she grabbed Helen Mirren's dress by accident, and that she rode to the show with the windows down.

Helen Mirren - Red.  Helen looks great even if that bitch Scarlet stole her dress; however, that necklace is too much with the dress.

January Jones - "Mad Men."  She just tries so hard.  January doesn't disappoint in Versace, but it's so predictable for her.  Plus, those black clunkers are too heavy for that dress.

Angelina Jolie - The Tourist.  I cannot stand this woman, yet she looks pretty here.  I hope Studio 54 lets her in for the after party.

Brad Pitt is looking better than he has in a while.  Sunglasses can cover a multitude of sins.

Christina Aguilera - Burlesque.  Again, I've seen worse from her, so this was moved to the "Meh" category, even if her right breast is screaming "get me outta here!"
  
Julianne Hough - "Dancing with the Stars."  This neckline isn't my favorite, but on someone statuesque like Nicole Kidman or Heidi Klum, possibly Cate Blanchette, it could have worked.  It just overwhelms petite Julianne.

Mandy Moore - I have no idea why she's here.  She looks fine for high school prom; I'm not a fan of the netting that extends to the one shoulder, or the boning that's visible on the bodice.  I kinda wish she'd done something with her hair.

Nicole Kidman - I like her hair color, and I'm glad she wore it down instead of severely pulled back.  Her dress is just... that bow on the waist with that tribal thing on the shoulder and the sequins... it's not awful, but it's not good.  

Julianna Marguilies - "The Good Wife."  She looks washed out and tired.  She should be in Tier 3, but I gave her a reprieve because I really like her and the show.

Jane Lynch - "Glee."  She looks nice, and she chose a silhouette that flatters her figure.

Some chick from "Glee," I forgot her name.  She looks pretty.  The color looked more saturated on television and I thought it complemented her skin and the dress perfectly (I'll admit that it looks a little bridesmaid-y here).

Elizabeth Moss - "Mad Men."  The color of the dress is great, but nothing else is working.  The shape isn't flattering and looks droopy, and her hair, while better than Peggy Olson's, looks blah.  

Kelly Osbourne - Host for E! network.  This dress isn't my favorite, but Kelly looks great and healthy these days, and the silhouette of the dress really complements her new shape.

Tier 3: Oh No She Di'n't

Jennifer Lopez - J. Lo: On Ice!

Halle Berry, why?  The top looks like a supportive undergarment and the bottom looks like Frederick's of Hollywood.

Johnny Depp - The Tourist.  Presented without comment.

Helena Bonham Carter - The King's Speech.  Unsurprising, for her.  Doesn't she ever just wants to be pretty?

Jennifer Love Hewitt.  A) She's orange. B) She looks like she's heading to her debutante ball.  C) Busty women should not wear dresses that call more attention to said bustiness.
  
Heidi Klum - Either she let her kids design her dress or she let a Project Runway contestant design it.  Either way, it's inappropriate for anywhere other than the Bahamas.

Michelle Williams - Blue Valentine.  Worst dressed, hands-down.  Not only does the dress not even fit her, but it's covered in daisies.  DAISIES!  

Gemma Mays - "Glee."  She's channeling Elvira here and her hair is overwhelming.

Katey Sagal - "Sons of Anarchy."  She's channeling Peg Bundy in this cheap and neon dress; the shape is nice on her, but nothing else is working.

Leighton Meester - Country Strong.  One big Victorian muddled mess.  

Natalie Portman - Black Swan.  Be my Valentine?  Plus, I think it looks cheap (and it's not).  

Natalie Portman.

Gaboure Sidibe.  I'm sure that finding a suitable dress can be challenging for someone her size, but she can do better than this.

Tilda Swinton.  Presented without comment.






No comments:

Post a Comment