August 27, 2012

Hello Again

Well, this is how it happens, right? You're bopping along, thinking to yourself, "Hey, maybe I should fire up the ol' blog." You dismiss the idea for the time-being, thinking, "The whole reason I let it hibernate was that I didn't have enough time to devote to it, maybe I should not get too overzealous about getting it going again."

Then, I think that statement through and think it sounds stupid and kind of self-important, like, "Hey, my blog is so amazing that it takes a lot, I mean a lot, of time and effort to update." That's not really true, especially for this lil blog o' mine; I see something that I think is neat/funny/pretty/interesting, and I write about it. I mean, really, you make time for what you think is important.

Anyway, I put it off because May 4 was a long time ago and SO MUCH (again with the self-importance) has happened since then that I can't possibly update you on everything.  

THEN, I read the much-maligned New York Times op-ed about the busy trap* and think to myself, "Hey, I am busy. We are busy. Ain't nothing wrong with that." (Except, really, I'd never say ain't. If you think I'd ever say ain't, then you don't really know me at all.)

THEN, within a seven day time period, three different people (fine, one of them was my mother) mentioned my blog to me and how they think I should fire it up again, and again I think, "Hey, maybe I should fire up the ol' blog." So, half-asleep on a Monday trying not to think about shit I need to do and instead thinking about shit I want to do, I think, "Might as well start now."

*I didn't necessarily agree nor disagree with the opinion presented in the busy trap. Mainly what I thought was that the guy was short on story ideas, wrote about how his friend ditched him (see paragraph 3), and turned it into an entire piece. Also, I fully confess here and now that I have definitely used the busy excuse to get out of an undesirable task/event/appointment/what-have-you. Sorry, I'm not sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment