October 29, 2013

All Over the Map

via
I don't know about you, but I've seen lots of maps lately. Maybe it's because I live in D.C., which is chock-full of representatives that depend on the demographics illustrated by those maps for their jobs. Maybe it's because D.C. prides itself on its Metro system (HAHA okay, Metro prides itself on its Metro system), so the the D.C. Metro map is also fairly ubiquitous in this city. 

Lately, Time magazine's "America's Mood Map" has been making the rounds on social media. It's fun to play with and to see where you end up and how close it actually is to where you currently live. It's also interesting to take the quiz multiple times to see if you get the same response. For example, I took the quiz in the morning and got Maine--independent and temperamental. In the afternoon of the same day I retook the quiz and was told I should be packin' my bags for North Carolina, which ranks high in the relaxed and creative category. I think this just means I'm not a morning person. 

One of my favorite maps of late is Slate's United Sports of America. For the states (Mississippi and Alabama) and district (Columbia) in which I've actually resided, I think it's 100% accurate. Mississippi calendars and weekend plans are often defined by deer huntin', and even if you're not a fan of the Crimson Tide (what, you don't like to win?) the Alabama vs. Auburn Iron Bowl is considered one of the fiercest rivalries in college sports. D.C.'s sport is kickball, which might sound random unless you've lived here. Adult kickball leagues have their roots in our nation's capital, probably as a great way to let off some steam after a long day at the office. 


United Sports of America map
via Slate
Some of the sports seem questionable, like cornhole (Ohio) and pumpkin chunking (Delaware). Likewise, some states seem to have gotten the shaft; New Jersey is the home of youth soccer, and Utah is the state for you if you're looking for church basketball. Interesting to say the least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment