May 17, 2010

DC's New Groove

August 2010 will mark my four-year anniversary of calling our nation's capital my home.  I really love DC, and although my grand plan is to eventually move a little further south, I plan to be here for the forseeable future.  Sometimes I get homesick, I miss my parents and my sister, I miss my pets, I miss living on the water, I miss parking lots and drive-thru banking, and I feel like I'm missing out on some important milestones in friends' lives.  Then I sit back and realize that while I may be "missing" those things since I'm not physically there, I'm also living a pretty interesting life myself.  No one else may find it that exotic or thrilling, but I enjoy it, and that's all that counts, right?



Anyway, via Twitter, I found this National Geographic article about the emergence of the "new" DC; while once DC was considered stuffy and stodgy, it is now seen (by some, anyway) as hip and vibrant.  I think there's a mix of both elements at play, not mention every other adjective under the sun.  That's one of the great facets of this city--it's hard to pin down just a single word that describes it.  All in all, I'm happy to call it home. 

The photos below are not mine, but they exhibit a few of the neighborhoods discussed in the article.  Enjoy!






C & O Canal in Georgetown




Verizon Center in Chinatown/Penn Quarter




No comments:

Post a Comment