May 7, 2010

The Marriage of Figaro

One of the best things about living in the DC is that there are events almost every night of the week; boredom strikes only if you let it.  Last night I went to see an opera with some friends at The Kennedy Center.  We saw Mozart's Le Nozze di Figaro (The Marriage of Figaro), which was a perfect I've-never-seen-an-opera-before opera (plus, I happen to really enjoy Mozart).  I researched the plot and history beforehand I went since I wasn't sure what to expect, but I'm happy to say that I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  The Marriage of Figaro is an engaging comedy, and the performers played it well, earning themselves many "bravos" and a standing ovation at the end.  While the entire performance was sung in the original Italian, I had no problem decipering the English supertitles.  (What are you supertitles, you ask?  They are the opposite of subtitles; sub = below, super = above.  They showed the supertitles above the stage, although they kept them short so viewers weren't distracted from the singing or the performance onstage.)

Thinking back on the performance, I'm still amazed at the singers' endurance and stamina.  They were all able to keep their voices loud and steady throughout the three hour (yes, three hour) performance, all the while dancing and acting the scenes out on the stage.  I would love to see more in the future, not to mention that it's always nice to have an excuse to dress up with the girls and hit the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment