May 23, 2010

Hmm Hummus

I've tried almost every brand of hummus under the sun, and although I've found a couple that I really like, nothing beats homemade hummus.  (Although there are some restaurants who do a damn good job.) 

I found the following recipe in the May 2010 issue of Real Simple, one of my favorite magazines.  I tried it for myself over the weekend with just a few tweaks (garlic salt instead of fresh garlic because I'm lazy, a little less cumin), and it was delicious.  The original recipe says the tahini is optional, but I definitely recommend including it.

Ingredients

1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for serving
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika

Directions

In a food processor (or blender), puree the chickpeas and garlic with the olive oil, lemon juice, tahini, cumin, and 3/4 teaspoon salt until smooth and creamy.  Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.

Transfer to a bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika before serving.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment